Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday's Food for Thought


If you want to live better, you need to eat better. If you want to eat better, you need to learn to cook.  This is a wellness principle I strongly believe in.  Even if you don’t plan on cooking every meal, everyday, cooking increases your understanding of food in general, arming you with a set of skills to help you eat better.  Believe me, once you make Fettuccini Alfredo or a Flourless Chocolate cake from scratch your whole understanding of food changes.

When learning to cook, don’t set up the expectation that you need to be Mario Batali or Anthony Bourdain (even though that's not a bad goal...they are two of my favorites!).   You just need to be apt enough in the kitchen that you can come out alive, with a dish that’s edible and good for you.  Start at step 1.  Remember one bite at a time!

My Cooking Philosophy

I believe in a messy kitchen and my mom hates this about me.  But for me, a kitchen is an area in which to explore and experiment.  I use recipes for inspiration but I never follow them.  I pick a random food I have never made before and learn how to cook it.  I experiment with herbs and spices and sauces.  I take my favorite restaurant dish and try to recreate it or give it my own spin (check out my best friend Lauren’s Italian cooking blog to see her recreation of her fav!).  All of this helps me learn about food in a meaningful way.  When you are cooking, you should be learning something, not just producing a final dish.  Like anything in life, if you don’t try you’ll never learn.  And if you don’t make mistakes, you won’t get better.

So take some time this weekend to make a mess of your kitchen.  Pick a random food, or spice, or dish you have been meaning to try or have never made before, and go to town!  A little food spontaneity is just what you need to spice up your weekend!  Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment