Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Oh, Hello.

I was beginning to write a post to share my granola recipe, which I have finally perfected, when I realized I probably owe you an explanation.  A Better Bite has been on hiatus for some time now and despite my efforts to capture and post my new favorite recipes, time has gotten the best of me.  Over the past year I made the transition from New York City, my home for almost ten years, to Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  One week ago today I completed my first year of a doctoral program in Nutrition at UNC. The move was tough at first and they really keep you busy in PhD School (at least that's what we call it!). While that sounds like more of an excuse than an explanation, I am very happy to let you know that I have learned TONS of new recipes and I can't wait to share them.

When I moved south, I thought I could cook.  Then I came to the stark realization that I pretty much only cooked for this blog and the occasional dinner party. While I have always considered myself someone who loves to cook and enjoys sharing food with those I love, I have learned the new art of cooking for the everyday. My favorite restaurants, coffee shops and gourmet grocers are no longer accessible. I was working in restaurants prior to moving but now when I come home from a long day, my favorite chef isn't asking for requests. The frustrations my friends have been sharing about menu planning and grocery shopping finally make real sense.  In New York City, grocery shopping and trips to the farmers' market are novel, as is cooking, for most people. I now know that loving to cook and having to cook are two very different things.  However, thanks to life in the south, I can now say, I do both.

Enjoy every upcoming bite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment