Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Eggs


I get a little carried away with food traditions during holidays and Easter is no exception.  Even when I was little, I would be incredibly meticulous about dying easter eggs.  We would buy the egg dying kits with the wire hooks and wax crayons and I would always be frustrated by how limited my creativity was.  I would sit and carefully balance one half of an egg in purple and then flip the egg to make the other half perfectly red.  Creating intricate invisible messages with my wax crayon would lead to anticipation and anxiety as I waited to see how it turned out.  All my sister's eggs would wind up being variations of green or brown because she would lose patients after 10 seconds and dip the eggs in all the colors.  This drove me crazy.

I don't know why the idea never occurred to me until now, but this year I thought to use water colors to paint my Easter eggs.  I'm sure at this point they have a kit that does this for you.  But every once in a while I think it's important to act like a kid again.  So whip out a paint brush and make a mess.  These pretty eggs will brighten up any Easter brunch, serve as a great center piece for Easter lunch or make unique place settings for Easter dinner.  And you thought dying eggs was only for kids?!



Water Color Easter Eggs
1 water color kit (non-toxic)
1 dozen eggs

Hard boiling Eggs: Bring enough water to boil in a pot that it will cover the eggs by 1-inch.  Once the water comes to a boil, use a spoon to place the eggs in the water.  Once the water begins to boil again, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook 8-10 minutes.  Drain and allow to cool.

Make sure the eggs are completely cool and dry before you paint them.  Save the carton to place the eggs in after they are painted.  Store in the refrigerator.  Serve and enjoy on Easter :)

What makes this bite better?
Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein and fat in the morning.  I will throw 2 or 3 in a bag with a piece of fruit as a quick breakfast on the go.  I usually eat one egg yolk per two egg whites.  For Easter, these perfectly pretty eggs are a better snack than an egg shaped chocolate or marshmallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment